As some would say, baking is a matter of science and chemical reactions.
Taking this into consideration, baking requires the utmost precision in order to create and achieve the perfect pastry.
In order to do so, it is important for any baker to not only know how to bake but also how to treat the ingredients right.
With that, here is a quick overview of what a baking scale is and its importance when it comes to baking.
Types of kitchen scales
Before we head on to the importance of using a kitchen scale in baking and how to choose the best kitchen scale 2022, let us first go through and discuss the different types of kitchen scales commonly used nowadays.
Generally, there are two main types of kitchen scales – mechanical and digital kitchen scales. Soon we will read the best kitchen scale buying guide.
To give you a better idea of what type is best used for baking, let us first differentiate each kitchen scale type:
Mechanical kitchen scales
Much like it is called, mechanical kitchen scales use a mechanical spring design that basically compresses under the weight.
This compression action then triggers on additional springs that pulls the dial that provides the weight reading for the item.
One of the biggest advantages of using a mechanical kitchen scale is that it is notably cheaper and simple to use.
It is also highly durable as it is easy to clean and there are no part sensitive to water unlike its digital counterpart.
However, one the greatest downside of using a mechanical kitchen scale is that it cannot offer a precise weight reading and would never be as precise as a digital scale.
Furthermore, mechanical kitchen scales only offer one unit of measurement for its dial and couldn’t be reprogrammed to measure other units of measurement.
Digital kitchen scales
Unlike mechanical kitchen scales, digital scales use electronic parts that provides an accurate and precise weight reading down to the decimal.
It features control boards and sensor chips that are able to measure weight as accurate as it could possibly be.
Obviously, one of the biggest advantages of using a digital kitchen scale is that provides accurate measurements that can also be converted in other units of measurements such as grams, ounces, pounds, and more.
Also, digital kitchen scales come with an LCD screen that is easy to read compared to a dial.
However, it is also important to know that digital scales tend to be more sensitive and require more care compared to its mechanical counterpart.
Digital vs Mechanical Kitchen Scales
Given the benefits of using digital and mechanical kitchen scales, the next question that needs to be answered is which type would be best for you?
As cliché as it may sounds, the best kitchen scale would depend primarily on your needs.
To give you a better idea, here are some notable features that you should look for when choosing between a digital or a mechanical kitchen scale:
Given the characteristics of mechanical kitchen scales, this type of scale is particularly useful for weighing heavier food items such as vegetables, fruits, meat, and the likes.
This is simply because these are the food types that are large and heavy enough so that it can pull the mechanical springs down with gravity and result to a more accurate reading.
It is also important to note that mechanical kitchen scales are ideal for places that usually get wet as the components would not be affected by water damage.
On the other hand, digital scales are more ideal for smaller scale weighing tasks such as those involved in baking.
Knowing that digital scales provide the most precise and accurate readings, this type makes it perfect for baking that requires precise measurements in their recipes.
Aside from that, the digital scale’s capability to change measurement units accordingly allows users to be more versatile and flexible when following different recipes.
Read also: How to choose best wooden salad bowls?
Best Kitchen scale buying guide: How to choose the best kitchen scale?
Now that we have a better understanding of what a kitchen scale is, the next question that needs to be answered is how we can choose the best kitchen scale 2020 depending on your needs.
Considering that there is a plethora of choices for kitchen scales available in the market nowadays, choosing the best can be a little tricky.
Here are some tips on how you can make this decision:
- Look for the Tare Function: This feature allows users to weigh the contents of a container by instantly setting the scale at zero with a press of a button.
- Look for Continuous Function: Aside from the Tare function, another feature that you should look into is the continuous function. This feature allows users to continue weighing items while adding exact amounts of ingredients in one bowl.
- Portability: For more counter space, opt for a kitchen scale that is compact in design and uses cordless power source instead of having to plug it in for power. In relation to this, take into consideration that mechanical scales are typically large and bulky which makes it rather difficult to store.
- Larger weight capacity: For instances that you would be measuring larger than normal food items, look for a kitchen scale that can measure large items instead of just a handful of nuts or cups of flour.
- Clarity: Whether you opt for a mechanical or digital scale, it is important to look for a model that offers a clear weight reading. This means that the mechanical scale should have a large and readable dial while the digital scale should have a clear and crisp LCD screen for its display.
Choosing the best kitchen scale 2021 can be a bit difficult especially if you have little to no idea what to look for.
Hopefully, the kitchen scale buying guide will help you to choose the best kitchen scale.
Also hope this article was able to help you learn more about kitchen scales and its importance when it comes to baking perfect pastries.