Today in this article we will share how to choose the right industrial packaging machines. In the fast-paced world of the fish processing industry, the role of industrial packaging machines is often underestimated. However, those who have been in the business long enough understand that the right packaging solution is not just a capstone to the production process; it’s a cornerstone of the entire operation.
Packaging serves multiple critical functions, from preserving the quality and freshness of the product to ensuring safe and efficient transportation. Moreover, it plays a significant role in consumer perception, which can directly impact brand loyalty and sales.
The complexity of fish products, which can range from whole fish to fillets, and from fresh to frozen, adds another layer of challenge to the packaging process. Different types of fish have varying shelf life and are susceptible to different kinds of spoilage mechanisms.
For instance, oily fish like salmon are prone to rancidity, while white fish like cod are more susceptible to microbial spoilage. Therefore, the choice of packaging machinery must be tailored not only to the type of fish but also to the specific preservation methods and distribution channels involved.
Additionally, the fish processing industry is subject to stringent regulations concerning food safety and quality. The machinery you choose must comply with the relevant standards to ensure that the packaged product meets all legal requirements.
Failure to do so can result in costly recalls, legal consequences, and damage to your brand’s reputation. Given these complexities, the decision to invest in a particular type of industrial packaging machine should be well-informed and carefully considered. For more information, you can visit fish processing machines.
This guide aims to provide you with comprehensive insights into different types of packaging machines suitable for the fish processing industry. We will discuss their features, advantages, and limitations, and even delve into popular models to help you make an educated decision that aligns with your business needs and goals.
By the end of this guide, you’ll have a robust understanding of what to look for in packaging machinery, ensuring that you make an investment that not only meets your immediate needs but also positions your business for long-term success.
How to choose the right industrial packaging machines?
Understanding Your Needs
Before you even start looking at different types of machines, it’s crucial to understand your specific packaging needs. Consider the following:
- Volume: How much product do you need to package daily?
- Type of Fish: Are you packaging whole fish, fillets, or processed products like fish sticks?
- Shelf-Life Requirements: Does your product need vacuum sealing or modified atmosphere packaging to extend its shelf life?
- Budget: How much are you willing to invest?
Types of Packaging Machines
- Neeyer Vacuum Sealer: Known for its dry/wet mode and a 12″ seal.
- Potane Vacuum Sealer: Features a cutter and auto-adjusts for different types of foods.
- Mueller Austria Automatic Vacuum Air Sealing Machine: Offers dual sealing modes and is fully automatic.
Vacuum sealers are essential for extending the shelf life of fish by removing air from the packaging. The Neeyer model is highly rated for its strong seal and ‘moist’ food mode, ideal for storing seafood. The Potane model comes with a cutter and can auto-adjust, making it versatile for different types of fish. Mueller’s machine is known for being faster and more economical, with a fully automatic plug-in design.
Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) Machines
- TFE 700: Used for cod packaging in thermoforming.
- TSA 875: Suitable for tray sealing fresh fish foam material trays.
- TSA 680: Another tray sealing machine for fresh fish.
MAP machines like the TFE 700 are used for cod packaging in thermoforming in a modified atmosphere. The TSA 875 and TSA 680 are used for tray sealing and are suitable for packaging fresh fish foam material trays in a modified atmosphere.
Flow Pack Machines
- ARTIC: Used for fresh and frozen fish packaging in flow packs.
- OCEAN: Another model for fresh and frozen fish.
- Jaguar BS: Known for its high throughput from 100 p/min to 350 p/min.
The ARTIC and OCEAN models are used for fresh and frozen fish packaging in flow packs. The Jaguar BS can handle throughput from 100 p/min to 350 p/min and is one of the most technologically advanced flow pack machines.
Vertical Form Fill Seal (VFFS) Machines
- VTI 500: Used for packaging in reclosable packs.
- VTI 200: Used for packaging in laminated film.
- VTC 800: Known for its high-speed operation.
These machines are used for packaging frozen fish fillets and slices. The VTI 500 is used for packaging in reclosable packs, while the VTI 200 is used for packaging in laminated film. The VTC 800 is known for its high-speed operation, making it ideal for large-scale operations.
For more information, you can visit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_form_fill_sealing_machine
- Spartan Series – 2215 L-Sealers: These are generally chosen for applications where speeds are slow to moderate or where space is limited. They are versatile wrappers within a certain range of product sizes.
- ISS Series Intermittent Motion Side Sealers: These machines encapsulate products in a continuous tube of film, sealing along one side of the package and then separating them into individual units downstream using a cross seal.
- BVS Series Box-Motion Vertical Wrappers: These feed products vertically into the wrapper, eliminating the need to transition products to a horizontal position.
Shrink wrappers use heat to shrink a plastic film around the product, providing a tight seal. Materials like Polyethylene (PE) are commonly used for their strength and durability. The Spartan Series – 2215 L-Sealers are ideal for moderate-speed applications and can be quite affordable. ISS Series machines are more suited for products of infinite length, as they can run random products. BVS Series are particularly useful when the product needs to be fed vertically into the machine.
- Tekkra 200 Series Side Infeed Bundler: These are versatile for diverse applications, including single products and multipacks.
- Tekkra 1000 Series Continuous Motion In-Line Bundler: These machines are designed for a variety of industries and are ideal for foods and beverages using clear or print-registered film.
- Kayat SRX Series Single Roll Bundler: This model is ideal for a variety of foods and beverages using clear or print-registered film.
Cartoners are responsible for placing your fish products into cartons, which can then be sealed or wrapped. The Tekkra 200 Series is versatile and can handle both single products and multipacks. The Tekkra 1000 Series offers continuous motion in-line bundling, making it efficient for higher volume operations. The Kayat SRX Series is another reliable option, particularly for foods and beverages.
Hope now you know how to choose the right industrial packaging machines. If you have anything to comment on, please feel free to let us know in the below comment box.